Name Change Attorney Alexandria VA

Name Change Attorney Alexandria VA

Name Change Virginia Petition

There are a variety of reasons why someone might choose to change their name. For instance, if you have recently married or divorced. However, changing your name can be a complicated process in Virginia. If you would like to change your name in Virginia please find a Civil Law Attorney who can help you if you live near Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington and Prince William counties.

Good Intention

Beyond filing out the necessary forms for name change, you must have good intentions. You cannot change your name to run away from debts, to harass people, to imitate a celebrity, or to hide from past convictions such as a registration on the sex offender’s registry. At any time after filing your name change petition and accompanying affidavit, you can be compelled to come to court and explain your intentions along with evidence. If you have been convicted of a crime, you may need to provide more than usual evidence to support your petition to prove you are not doing it for the wrong reasons.

Residency & Age

To petition the Court for a name change, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of County or City to file the petition in the circuit court. For example if you are a resident of Fairfax City then you must file your petition in Fairfax City Circuit Court or if you are a resident of Fairfax County then your must file your petition in Fairfax County Circuit Court. There are several cities and towns in Virginia that they have their own court system such as City of Falls Church, City of Alexandria, City of Vienna, and Town of Herndon to name a few. 

For a minor the city or county where the minor resides will be the circuit court where the parents or legal guardians can file a name change petition. 


Finally, you have to give adequate notice of your name change petition such as publication and in the event of a minor child, notice to any parties who have an interest in that child such as ex-spouses. In the event that you need a name change without service, such as hiding from an abusive ex-spouse who has no parental rights, you will have to ask for a special ex-parte hearing to prove why notice should not be required.

Contact Us

Getting a petition for a name change in Virginia is simple. Call Mughal Law Firm for a consultation to see what your next step is.